FBI Moneypak is a ransomware which locks your computer and asks you to pay a certain amount as a fine. The fine can be $100, $200, $300 and so far we’ve seen maximum $400 fines. FBI Moneypak malware is designed by cyber criminals who are involved in illegal activities and always invent new ways to extort money from consumers. Malwares like FBI Moneypak are developed by highly skilled computer programmers who have extremely deep knowledge of how computers work, specially how Microsoft Windows work. They exploit the vulnerabilities of the operating system for their own benefit and threat users.
FBI Moneypak virus is not coming from government but It is just a scam to scare you so that you get afraid and silently pay the fine to the scammers to get your computer unlocked. FBI Moneypak virus spreads via hacked websites and compromised downloads. This malware uses a critical windows process called rundll to run itself and It comes in form of a DLL file (Dynamic Link Library). As soon as the Moneypak Virus is inside your computer, It will contact its C&C (Command and Control) servers and load the ransom page. One your computer is infected with FBI Moneypak, here is what will happen :
1. Your computer will get locked down completely and you won’t be able to access desktop or any other application on your computer. All the shortcut keystrokes (Like ALT+CTRL+Delete to run Task Manager) will stop working because the FBI Moneypak virus will forcefully block the command.
2. To scare you, the malware will start a countdown and tell you that 72 hours is the deadline for you to pay the fine. If you don’t pay fine in 72 hours, your computer will get formatted completely. This is just a scare tactic and you shouldn’t worry about this.
3. You’ll be asked to buy Moneypak voucher and enter that voucher code in the program to unlock the computer. If you pay the ransom money, your computer will indeed get unlocked but this is not the right method to get rid of malware because they’ll get your money for no reason.
This malware pretends to be coming from FBI and this name alone is enough to scare you. If you’re not aware of this scam, you might even end up paying the fine silently because you may not want to tell anyone about what you do on your computer.
The lock screen of FBI malware will also have a webcam module and If your webcam is on, you might see your picture that and FBI Moneypak will tell you that recording is going on and Government now have your video and it is impossible to hide. In short, don’t worry about these alerts as they are just scary. This infection has nothing to do with FBI or any legal authority but just a scam designed to extort money. In different countries, the malware changes its name to match the local authorities of that country so that threats look real. Here is a screenshot of FBI Moneypak malware :
In December 2012, this malware has changed its name to “Department of Justice Virus” and new variants of the malware looks like this :
FBI Moneypak is now modified to Department of Justice virus with same malicious features and the latest variants are much more harder to kill as they tend to block more security features and some variants are even loading in Safe Mode.
How To Remove FBI Moneypak Virus Automatically
The Most important questions is how to remove FBI Moneypak virus quickly and easily from your computer without doing any harm to your files and important data. Since the virus locks down everything, It is extremely hard to remove fbi moneypak virus. We’ve tested this malware in our research lab and here is how to remove FBI Moneypak virus easily :
1. First of all, completely shut down your computer and reboot it after one minute.
2. Start pressing “F8” key on your keyboard continuously to access Windows Advanced Startup Menu :
3. Once your computer boots up in Safe Mode, you’ll see command prompt window and a cursor blinking there. On this window, please press “Alt + CTRL + Delete” keys on your keyboard.
4. This command will show Task Manager. Please click on File—>New Task (Run…) In Task Manager and type C:\ as a task to run it and click on OK button.
5. This will show the files in C:\ as well as a message saying that Windows is running in Safe Mode. You need to click on “No” button to access the System Restore utility.
6. Now you need to follow easy steps to restore your computer to an earlier date when your computer was not infected with the malware. These screenshots will show you how System Restore Works :
7. After restoring your computer to an earlier date, you should be able to boot up normally. Keep in mind that the threat is not completely out of your computer but just not locking anymore. These ransomware products are also bundled with keyloggers which can steal your passwords as well as credit card information and silently transmit that information to a server in remote location.
Now you need to scan your computer with a genuine malware remover to remove traces of the infection and all the keyloggers and other malicious stuff which might be hiding in your computer. For this purpose, you can download Spy Hunter by clicking the button below. We’ve tested this software against Moneypak Malware and it works like a charm :
Download Spy Hunter and do a Full Scan of your computer. You’ll find tons of malware and other malicious stuff hiding in your computer. Without getting rid of all those malicious files, you shouldn’t start using your computer normally. Scan your computer and get rid of all the infections.
This Video from our malware research lab shows the latest variant of malware attacking the computer. See this video to learn how to do a System Restore.
Keep in mind that Internet is full of such malware products and new threats are emerging everyday. You never know when your system will be attacked by the hackers so It is a wise decision to stay safe and use genuine anti-malware products all the time. These anti-malware products not only saves you from threats but also save lots of headaches and your valuable time as well. Stay Safe!